Saturday, July 23, 2011

Does The Okoboji Area Have a "Style?"

I was recently reading my favorite internet blog, "Cote de Texas."  The blogger, an interior designer from Houston, Texas asked a interesting question:  "How do you define your city’s style?   Is you décor typical of where you live, or do you decorate as if you live in L.A. or Atlanta instead of Minneapolis?"

That lead me to ponder our lake style.  I am new to the Iowa Great Lakes Area, having bought a place last summer.  I am anxious to begin the decorating process, but I am sure that coming from Minnesota that I have a clear handle on what I am looking for.  I want comfort for sure.  But I also want enduring style.  I have noticed that Okobojians and other lake dwellers refer to their homes as "cottages" vs. the "cabins" in Minnesota.  


We are not on the beach, but we have beaches and shores.  We don't have lobsters or crabs but we do have perch and bluegills.


So how do you define the "Iowa Great Lake" style?  I am going to attempt to highlight our style through this blog, dedicated strictly to the residents of the Okoboji area, whether you live on Big Spirit, Center Lake, the Gars or the Okoboji lakes.  


I hope you enjoy the ideas presented here every summer.  We will explore all types of "lake style" from food and decor, to fashion, gardens and parties.


Welcome aboard!

No comments:

Post a Comment