So I listed some of my reasons, about 30 of them, in fact!
1. Around 4 pm in the afternoon we have an ice cream truck that goes by our home. (The photo is not of our truck, however, but ours is very similar!)
2. We have a drive-in restaurant close enough to walk to. This is a big treat for us, since it was closed for our first three summers here.
3. We have over 10 restaurants that we can boat to!
6. We have a historic amusement part, Arnold's Park.
7. We have Rock and Roll concerts every Thursday night at the Iowa Rock and Roll Music Association's Rock and Roll Museum and free concerts in the green space, every Saturday night in the summer.
9. We have the Dickinson county fair several minutes away. Home to not only the fair, but one of the many farmer's markets in the area. The farmers markets feature produce, flowers, baked goods (including gluten free) and grass fed beef.
10. The famous "Clay County Fair" is 25 miles away with world class entertainment. (And lots and lots of junk food!)
11. We have lots of car shows. They might feature classic cars at many of the "cruise ins" or the University of Okoboji Corvette Club shows.
15. We have the Pearson Lakes Art Center and the Sami Center for Performing arts.
16. There a lovely inn and wedding venue, The Wild Rose Inn. (Which is close to the Nature Center and museums.)
17. We have historic sites, such as the Gardner cabin, which was the site of the Spirit Lake massacre. We also have six museums. The Iowa Great Lakes Maritime Museum is a must see, along with the new Okoboji Classic Car museum, Clark's Acres, the Dickinson County historical museum, The Higgins Money Museum and the Westport rural schoolhouse museum.
The Iowa Great Lakes Maritime Museum
19. We have parades, city festivals and art shows.
20. We have an excursion boat, the Queen II.
Architectural Digest and many of the lakes residences have benefited from his style and good taste. (We also have lots of home stores, gift stores and souvenir stores!)
22. We have lots of fun accessories stores and several nice women's clothing stores...one, Bungalow 29, is my favorite!
24. We have three micro breweries and several wine bars and stores. A winery is only 7 miles away.
West O Brewery
Boji Beer Company
Little Swan Lake Winery
26. We have a water park, Boji Splash!
Okay, now do you get the picture?
28. And we can boat from our lake to three smaller lakes and one of only three blue water lakes in the world, West Lake Okoboji!
Perhaps now you can see why living here is so much fun. With bands at every bar and most restaurants, wine tastings, and events there is never a want for entertainment.
30.However, when you need to unwind, the view is peaceful from our deck. We have everything here for a fun and exciting summer, but we can find peace and quiet in our own back yard. Perhaps that is the best reason for living here.